March 31, 2010

The Dining Table










At our house the dining room is the hub. It's where the meals and conversations happen. It's where the homework is done and the crafts get spread out. It's the scrap booking layout area and the sewing project spot. I can't imagine having a dining room that I couldn't use everyday whenever I wanted. So when I had a family who hadn't used their dining room in three years, my heart sank. I knew that this would be the room we worked on today. It took three intensive hours to purge the room of excess paper that mostly needed shredding or recycling. It took another few hours to complete the room and relocate items to their proper homes. We found money, gifts, photos, and in the end...a dining table. As I sat down to eat our family dinner that night I smiled to myself knowing that a family of four was also sitting down to eat at a dining table for the first time in three years. It's moments like this that make me happy for the job I get to do and the people I get to help. That was a good day. Thank you for letting me in.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What an incredibly rewarding job. It's not one I would choose, but looking at those pictures, I can see why you cried. I am glad you were there to help them.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and share your own stories.