March 18, 2010

Icy Roads

A little bit of ice on the roads can change your plans in an instant. The buses are not running and the kids come back into the house donned with all their gear. A happy surprise for them but an "oh no" moment for me. I have to work this afternoon and they will need supervision.
What's the plan? We have taken the time to talk about what happens when our schedules get knocked around by various circumstances, so I put our plan into action. First we call Daddy and inform him of the changes. Our babysitter is also on the same bus route (and I already know she's not in school!) so I have a backup if Daddy's schedule does not permit him coming home. Luckily Daddy can come home and I get to go to work or else I would work down the list.

Lesson-Emergency plans work. Talk to your family, friends and neighbors about being each others back-up plan. Write the plan down and include phone numbers so that anyone walking into your home during an emergency will be able to understand your plan easily.
Now I just need to put the headphones on so I can get some more writing done while the kids treat the living room like a playground. Maybe I'll even kick them outside!
I can't wait for it to warm up so I can get in here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and share your own stories.