October 1, 2010

Friday Findings


My vehicle does not fit in my garage.  Not because it's so cluttered. It's just an old old garage and my van is too wide to comfortably get inside.  So the garage is the home to all our outdoor paraphernalia.  Gardening gear, sports equipment, Barbecue, Smoker, Tools and all the toys of the season. 

Oh...and the recycling.

We have to take our recycling to a recycling centre in town or you can sort it and put it on the curb every other garbage day. I like recycling but I'd rather drop it off than blue bag it all.  So sometimes the garage is overwhelmed with boxes and papers.  Two of my children have paper routes and we always have a pile or two leftover as well.  Needless to say I need to fill the van and get it done rather than have it take over the garage one more day. 

I don't want my children to ever tell me that they can't get to their bikes or toys because of my recycling mess.  When I tell them to go out and play I never want them to use me as an excuse of why they couldn't.

How is your recycling?  Is it working for you?  Do you need new containers like these ones?  Sometimes the right containers really do help. 

8 comments:

  1. I'm grateful we now live in a neighborhood that offers weekly recycling pick-up--unfortunately it's only Type 1 recyclables so it seems like a lot still goes to waste. Still, we do what we can, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to recycle as much as possible (and not just to get rid of those massive piles). And yes, the containers make a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live in the country so we do not have any recycling around here unless you count the cows and what they leave behind - but that is another topic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family is in the country and they are always at the burn barrel. I wish I had a bigger compost too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our trash system does all of the recycling we have a separate bin we put out on the curb from the garbage. We have 2 trash cans in the kitchen one is recycling and one is non-recyleable trash. Our recycle bin in the kitchen is full 4 times for every 1 of the trash. We are not required to sort, so it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a pretty good recycling system where I live. What I look most forward to is the important document shred my city does 2 times a year for free! You can take several boxes full of bills and other sensitive items and they will take care of the rest! Great blog you have here?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Liz I would love the city to do a shred day. I will suggest it right after the election when they are eager to make the constituents happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just moved from the country so recycling is something we have to 'learn' all over again. It's hard at first because now so much is not 'trash' anymore. My husband, who grumbled at first, is even getting the hang of it! My 3 year old is practically a pro as well. She knows that some items have to be rinsed. She has also learnt that some items can 'make money' and she puts those special pieces in a seperate bin!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and share your own stories.