October 8, 2010

Friday Findings


I have seen the writing on the wall.  Actually, I have seen the frost on the lawn. I know that I need to get into the garage and get the summer things tidied before the big flakes arrive. 

As you can see, I have a bit of an obsession.  How many containers can  you count?  I see seven and I know that there are more lurking.  I have to defend my container love.  Kitty litter containers are heavy duty and have a great handle.  I use them everywhere.  Bubble blowing toys, beach toys, knee/elbow protectors for three children, gardening stuff...and every other grouping that needs a home of their own.  I have been known to stack a few in the corner for those "just in case" moments. 

I think I've explained before that my garage is an old garage. Over 54 years old.  It does not hold our van.  So the garage is more like a huge shed for all our seasonal items.  Yippee for me.  I like storage.

After tidying, purging and rearranging all the summer fun, we had room to pull out the tires (in the white at the back), and get at the lawn mover one last time.  I even got rid of four containers.  Sadly at first but then remembering that the cat is old but not gone yet. 



Get out there and dig into your garages this weekend.  Pull all the stuff out.  Sort it.  Containerize it.  Sweep.  Put it all back nicely so that you can easily get to it in the spring.

How do you keep your garage organized and is it your job or your partners to take care of this zone?

6 comments:

  1. No garage here! Our home was built with a single-car carport that previous inhabitants enclosed (poorly) for a bonus room. It makes a nice craft studio, though!

    That said... yeah, I do need to do a bit of fixing up and organizing. In April I purged a LOT of stuff in the process of rearranging everything and added more shelving units, I just haven't finished the organizing, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen,
    We have to get into the garage so badly. Ours really needs to be torn down, but city ordinance says we have to have one. We have set off a spider bomb b/c of the terrible infestation. THEN I can organize. Can you see how I've procratinated? Ugh! Now I have organizing guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is some major organization. You know, almost a year ago I purged my garage and it looked great. Now, a year later...there is just more stuff in it! How does that happen? I guess it is time to purge again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Liz We all backslide from time to time. It's knowing that we need to make time to organize regularly that helps us keep it under control.
    @Candice I can't believe you have to keep it up even if it's a hazard. I could not deal with the bugs at all.
    @Scraps I always wondered who renovated garages into rooms. I would love it...for myself that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately (or fortunately), right now we don't have a garage. We do have other outside storage and it is my husband's job to keep up with all of that. He has actually been cleaning out and organizing things now that the weather is cooling off. Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do seriously need to do that!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and share your own stories.