October 31, 2010

Halloween Fun



I don't volunteer very much at the school.  It's just not something that I'm completely comfortable with. I took a little time this week to work in the classroom of my youngest daughter in grade one.  We were doing halloween stations and I got the pumpkin station.  I helped the kids explore pumpkins inside and out.  We dug out the guts and created some spooky faces too.  At the end I had five pumpkins worth of seeds. I hate to see them go to waste so I decided to take them home to bake.  I had to wait a few days to bake so I left the seeds covered in a bowl in the fridge until this morning, so if you want to bake your seeds just put them aside to do later.  I love eating pumpkin seeds, hull and all.  I had enough for four batches but only three turned out.  I was multi tasking and one batch was a little too dark...OK... I burnt it.  But look at these ones!  Two batches of just salty mix and one with salt and Worcestershire.  Yum.  

  
Today was our family pumpkin carving day so we all took turns creating our funky faces.  My pumpkin was starting to rot so I came up with this idea.  The mouth is actually from the stem.  The kids loved this and are now thinking up ideas for next year to incorporate the candy.

Every once in a while we need to just put down the organizing tools and have fun with the family.  
Happy Halloween everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Your pumpkin dude was so very clever! I wonder what he looked like by the end of the night??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great pumpkin use! I can just see that on a party buffet with fruit kebabs, etc. Did folks help themselves to the lollipops or leave them as a decoration?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you decorated that pumpkin! That is a fantastic idea. I agree with Scraps, totally could be used on a party buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute idea! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How adorable! You your even fill it with cake pops for a Halloween dessert buffet...

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and share your own stories.