November 26, 2010

What To Do With Scrap Wood...Tutorial

We built a lovely fence this summer. I am very happy to have some privacy.  Now we have a small pile of wood in the garage that is not small enough to want to throw out but not large enough to do a huge job with.
I was wasting some time on Stumble when I came across a craft I thought I would try.

Here is my attempt at getting rid of wood.


Select wood samples from pile that are clean and fairly even on the bottoms
Paint wood in bright colours.  Have friends, family and children help.
Use your favorite letters to make some inspirational words.
I used Maya Road for these but my Cricut for the signs.
Add snowy features on the edges of the blocks.
Glue letters onto blocks.  Add string, buttons and glitter for details.
 


Display painted blocks together.


 I may drill a hole in the top of these to put tealights in but for now they look great all by themselves.

The children are working on the signs.  We have picked the words: Naughty, Nice and Friends for our signs.
My friend and neighbor Melissa chose the blue sign and put "Let It Snow" on hers.  I'll show those later when the details are on. 

Other words or sayings we are working on are: I Believe, Dear Santa...I Can Explain, Deck the Halls, Jingle Bells, Reindeer Crossing, and Family.

What do you do with your scrap wood?  What sayings can you add to our list?

4 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower. Love this idea.....very cute!

    Amy's Life @
    www.amyclairejacob.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Can't wait til we paint the next round!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! They turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and share your own stories.