December 17, 2010

Guest Post by Beth Piotrowicz Landstrom

Read what Beth has to say about her very busy life....

Organizing a Chaotic Life

Step 1 – The Phone Call

Hubby calls home from work right after the little man heads off to school. Normally this is my 2 hours window to, knit, crochet, craft, throw a load in the laundry, perhaps tackle a bathroom, empty the dishwasher so that I can load the dirty dishes that are waiting on the counter in for the next load…and sadly there are likely just enough dishes on the counter from last night’s dinner preps, this morning’s breakfast, lunchboxes, and my stray tea mugs from around the house to fill the entire thing.

So, the phone rings, and there goes the morning. We are getting posted to the United States! Yay! What an adventure!! I Google schools, neighbourhoods, stores, libraries, etc for the next 2 hours.
I almost end up at the school in PJs for pick up of my rental kid.

Back home, back to the clutter-filled structure that we call home. And the enormity of what I was going to have to do hit me. Half of it was going to have to go.

When you get posted to the USA you need to make a comprehensive list of everything you are packing in that truck and declare it. This is for insurance and also for customs. This sucks. Imagine listing every pair of pants, every winter hat, every pair of shoes!!!

OK, So I switch on my positive frame of mind and think of it as an amazing opportunity. What a great way to determine whether or not something belongs in my home…is it important enough to me to put it on The List…

Now, I would like to be frightfully honest, and as such I must tell you I am a big ‘just in case’ kinda gal. Married to a ‘just in case’ kinda guy. So we have lots of stuff tucked away ‘just in case’ we might need it, might be able to use it, might be good for a craft…I’m sure you know the type.

But, when you start looking at making The List, somehow twenty empty tubes from paper towel kept just in case you got into a paper maché mood with your kid doesn’t seem quite so logical…

And so it begins, looking around the house in a whole new way…and I’m daunted. So each day I try and hit a closet, or cupboard, or corner, or shelf…anything that needs to be addressed that I have said “I’ll get to it later”. There is no later…
Crap, this is going to be a busy few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and share your own stories.