May 24, 2011

Marathon Goal Acheived

Most of you know that I am a runner.  I started running almost six years ago with my husband Mike.  We needed an activity to keep us connected and to keep in shape.  I still remember crying as I came through the finish line on my first 5K road race in NS.  I never thought I would ever run further than that. 

This past weekend we participated in our first 1/2 marathon.  That's 21K for those of you wondering.  It was a beautiful course in Red Deer, AB.  Here's a short video explaining how I feel before and after the run.  I didn't know that Mike was in the background of the video for the ending so I laughed when I reviewed the shots.

video

Would I do it again?  Maybe.  Probably.  Yes.  Even after a post run massage I am still in a lot of pain.  I now know what parts of my body need more training.  I think I can take 20 minutes off my time in the future.  I am not in the frame of mind that I could do a full marathon.  Those people are crazy.

I never thought I'd be a runner.  My chest always seared with pain after a light jog and my legs screamed "no" at me.  Nothing comes without hard work.  I trained.  I got frustrated.  I gave up a few times.  In the end it was only myself who could get the job done. 

I cried again as I went through the finish line on Sunday.  I was proud of myself.  I was proud of my husband.  Yes.  I'll definitely do it again.  Just leave me alone for a week to heal please.

6 comments:

  1. Proud of you!! An inspiration for All!! And Thank Mike for the Laugh! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTG Girl!!! you rock sister of mine!!! what an acheivement, love you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, I couldn't of done it.

    Thanks again for the prizes you dropped off yesterday! We are using everything your brought us. The side of our fridge is a little more organized now with the post it holder. We use to just have a basket full of pens and packs of post its. Looks much better now.

    I do think that the retracting tape measure is broken tho. I measured my waist and it was off by at least 10 inches from the last time I measured 5 years ago.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proud,proud, proud. You have the spirit!! I see that the pain didn't stop you from planning for more. It is kinda like childbirth the pain goes away and we need "another one" LOL

    Hey Stephanie.....I think we bought our measuring tape at the same place, do you think it is too late to return the defective thing or not??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha haa ha guys. Maybe you should check your scales too. I hear they change over time too.
    Yes, the next run will be in July in Wainwright. Kinda addictive.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and share your own stories.