June 15, 2011

Elimination Diet

Ok so here's the dealio.

I have been sick for about 5 years with a mystery illness.  I could give you the master list of tests we have already done but that would frustrate me.  Short story...I am constantly nauseous.  It feels like early pregnancy nausea that you think you could just eat crackers and it will go away but it doesn't.  I get it cyclically each month for about a week at a time every two weeks.  Nice eh?

I am desperate for a diagnosis.

My friend asked me if I had done an elimination diet to see if it is a food allergy.  No I hadn't.  What's the harm?  So I have spent the last two weeks eating a very basic diet that reminds me of a toddlers meal plan.  Here's the kicker.  I'm still nauseous.  I am suppose to start introducing new foods this weekend and I am not feeling it.  I want a pizza, some pasta, lots of cheese and a cup of green tea.  All at once.  No big cravings for meat or milk though which surprised me.

I will keep it up until Friday and then take the results to the Doctor yet again. 

Anyone else out there in the blog world having constant cyclical nausea?  Help!

On the good side....eating this way helped me lose more weight.  I haven't been this light in at least 5 years.  Maybe vegetarians are onto something.

5 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 15, 2011

    Wow almost exactly what I've been going through since April. Right now I am on a banana, rice and apple sauce diet. (well it's all I can eat). However eating now results in pain. Seeing the doctor today to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camille LindstromJune 15, 2011

    Hey I also always have morning sickness ack and it was really bad this morning, its awful having it and not being pregnant lol I have never given it much thought just figured it was low blood sugar.

    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear you've been dealing with this. Unfortunately I have no words of wisdom for your situation (in a similar medical pickle, myself, only not the same symptoms and we've reached a we've-ruled-out-the-usual-causes-so-maybe-it's-this-rare-thing-we-can't-actually-confirm-or-deny-yet-but-we'll-monitor diagnosis), I just hope you find something that helps.

    Potentially dumb question: have they at least tried the various anti-nausea medications to ease your discomfort?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys for the support. The doctor continues to send me for new tests.
    Scraps-I usually wake up with nausea and most meds cause drowsiness. Not good with 3 kids. I will keep you all posted.
    Anon - No stomach pain when I eat. That would suck.
    I love food.
    Camille - have it looked at just for safety sake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, I deal with the same thing, and have for years now. My Dr's have never been able to diagnosis it either, the only time I've ever been free from it is during the 4-9month stretch in pregnancy! Keep us posted on your situation, because I'm definitely not up for another pregnancy just to feel better for awhile :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and share your own stories.